Friday, July 18, 2008

Boy's Gone Camping

We decided to be brave and took DS camping for two nights. We went with a group from the university where DH works. It was a group of families that we have met throughout the year. We had a lot of fun. It reminded me of various camping trips I had gone on with my family when I was growing up. Only this time, I was one of the adults...having to help with meal planning, etc. But, I didn't let that added responsibility ruin my trip! :)

DS slept fairly well in the tent. I had been a little concerned that he might keep everyone awake, being that we were all sleeping in tents well in ear-shot range. But, he made me proud. He wasn't any louder than any of the other little ones in the group--at least from my perspective. And, I did get some much-needed sleep as well, so I can't complain.

DS loves to play in the dirt, we discovered. Having no bath tubs to use, his evening "wash-up" session included a wet-wipe wipe-down. I have come to be quite appreciative of wet wipes. Whoever invented those was a genious in my book.

Speaking of geniouses, DS is quite the little smarty pants. He has a toy with shape cutouts in the lid that you put the matching shape pieces through. I don't mean to brag (well, maybe I do) :), but he, at 10 months, has started putting shapes through the correct holes. He also has developed a passion for animals and balls...and the dog water dish. He loves to point at anything. That is his indication that I should take him there to examine it. And when I don't, he uses what has become labled as the "bear-crawl" or "monkey-crawl" where he is on all fours, but not hands and knees...he doesn't like using his knees, so he uses his feet instead with his little bum straight up in the air. Apparently, he thinks it is faster. Although, it is clear that he would much prefer to be walking. One day, little one, one day. You're not far off. He also likes to torture the poor puppies. He chases them and pounces. It is almost as if you can see them roll their eyes while thinking, "not again." They usually get up and walk away, which further encourages DS's game to again chase and pounce. He'll grow out of that game one day, boys, I promise.

No comments: