Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Biker Babe

We have had some awesome weather lately, and we just needed to try out our baby bike seat that was "handed down" to us from some friends here. So, last Sunday afternoon, we strapped on the seat and DS's bike helmet. (All children on a bike under the age of 16 are required to wear helmets here...I didn't know they made helmets this small. Fortunately, it is adjustable so he won't grow out of it right away.) We had a nice ride around the block and down to the river. He seemed to enjoy the ride so much that it put him right to sleep.
Since our first bike-outing, we have had several others including a few trips to pop in and visit some friends around town. I have contemplated riding out to the store to do some grocery shopping, but unfortunately, bikes don't come with trunks to bring the groceries home. I did invest in a pretty nice wire basket for the front of my bike, but that just isn't big enough for a cart-load of food.

The most challenging part when commuting by bike, I have found, is holding the bike up while strapping the baby in. With lots of practice, I'm sure it will get easier.

No comments: