Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Yea, Rah, Hockey!

There was a cheer we used to do on my high school hockey team that ended with "Yea, Rah, Hockey!" but I forget the rest of it... Some of you may remember that I was a cheerleader in 5th grade--we cheered for the midget football teams...not something I announce very often. That was before I found a REAL sport where you actually have to run and stuff!

Anyway, I left DS with DH Saturday morning and ventured into Portland to make some new friends. I arrived at the designated artificial turf field, which was covered with little football players. Apparently, they had a final game on Sunday and were getting in one last practice. So, we found a grass soccer field close by that would do for the day. (P.S. Grass fields in Portland--not a good idea...especially during the rainy season.) We were slipping and sliding all over the muddy field. Friday night when I went to bed it had been pouring down rain, but I awoke Saturday morning to a beautiful sunny day and we were determined to make the most of it.

I might have mentioned before that this team that I found is made up of a bunch of people who moved here from the east coast and places outside of the US since people of Oregon don't seem to know that there is a sport called Field Hockey. "What's That??" Also, P.S., in other countries, Field Hockey is also a men's sport. The US is the only country where it is really considered to be a women's sport. So, I got to play with a couple guys from Bangladesh, a girl who played in the UK, a couple that I think was from Puerto Rico, some others guys and girls that I'm not sure where they are from, and a girl from Cortland. (That would be SUNY Cortand, the team we faced in the 2001 NCAA Field Hockey National Championship. For those of you who don't know, we lost the game 1-0, coming in 2nd in the nation for NCAA Division 3 Field Hockey. I still crinkle my nose and growl when I think of Cortland...Grrr.) But, she was very nice and I am not bitter. She graduated 2 years before I did, so I never actually played against her.

Anyway, it was an exciting time of hockey. I still hurt 3 days later...the pain should be all gone just in time to do it all again this Saturday!!! Yea, Rah, Hockey!!!

No comments: